Monday, May 24, 2010

How do i make a session file using a unix command window?

I need to make a session of my computer program's output for my programming class. I can't find how to do it in my notes or online. im sure it's simple, but im missing it. The only hint i got was





" Use Unix%26gt;script %26lt;sessionFile%26gt; to do this "





im assuming somewhere you input the "XXX.exe" and the destination file... but i cant seem to get anything to work.

How do i make a session file using a unix command window?
When you start your session at the xterm window, type "script %26lt;filemname%26gt;" at the prompt. That will open a file named %26lt;filename%26gt; that will record your session. If you just type in the command script, it will output to a file named "typescript".





Then you just run your program. When you are done, press CTRL-D.





For example I did the following on my Linux box..





mike@edsel:~%26gt; script sizes_script


Script started, file is sizes_script


mike@edsel:~%26gt; ./sizes





char= 1


unsigned char = 1


int = 4


unsigned int = 4


short = 2


unsigned short = 2


long = 4


unsigned long = 4


float = 4


double = 8


long double = 12


mike@edsel:~%26gt; Script done, file is sizes_script


mike@edsel:~%26gt;





I typed a CRTL-D at the second to last line.





For more info, type "man script" into your xterm. That will give you all the info you need.
Reply:check out this site


http://www.tech-faq.com/capture-unix-ter...


No comments:

Post a Comment